Friday, February 18, 2011

lockets and knick knacks

The spine of my latest journal.  I worked on most of the pages first and then bound the book.  I loved working like this because I could change the order of the pages.  I found I could tell different stories depending on the order.  Everything in the book is true but the pages aren't created in liner order.  Which is how my brain works so it only seems fitting.

The book is made from scraps of fabric and art paper that I already had in my stash.  My friend gave me a bunch of random scraps and I figured out I could sew them together and use them for spines.  I used duct tape underneath to keep the fabric stiff which I'm not sure I would do again.  It is cheaper than linen tape but it has a self healing quality to it so it's a bit hard to sew though. You really have to punch a hole in the fabric and I have a lazy way of bookbinding. I usually poke the holes in the spine as I go not in the beginning.

Giant button and locket from my art stash.   The left side of the locket says the heart sees (1/2 a quote from a yogi brand tea bag) and the right is a water colored heart with an eye drawn on it.  I used Elmer's glue on both side and made a little bath of glue and let it dry for a few hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment