Monday, April 25, 2011

The Nomad Journal

 I saw this fabric (fake leather) as a swatch and fell in love with this soft polyester.   I was lucky enough to find it by the yard at our local upholstery fabric store. The inside feels like black fleece which would have been fine but fleece tends to pick up dog hair and string so I placed a lining fabric inside.  I used pellon to make it less floppy but I would switch to interfacing to bind the lining fabric in the future.  It's really tough to seal down all the edges even with careful gluing.   The gluing of the lining made the outside fabric wrinkle a bit but I'm pretending it adds character.  All of the charms were from a drawer I needed to clean out. A old watch, cell phone charm (lazy panda) and a trade charm with the number 2. All and all it is nice and lightweight and inexpensive to make because I only bought the outside fabric. 
 Everything in this journal will be related to some sort of travel.  I've seen so many painted suitcases lately that I knew they would play well in this journal.  I'm also having a circus and rose moment so these themes will pop up as well. 
The mask is 3-D and fits perfectly over the face but I decided I really liked the eye and made it cover the rest of the face. Materials- old dictionary pages, pen, pencil, waxed linen, watercolors and paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment